Complex blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot aged 23 months in oak barrels. Compare to your favorite Chianti Reserve.
- Classico is a red wine blend made from vinifera grapes – Sangiovese (Clone
VCR 6), Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. All of these red grapes are grown here
at ARV. The 2015 vintage contains a small amount of Petit Verdot which is a
French varietal grown at our Woodfield vineyard.
- The grape clone of Sangiovese used in Classico is smaller in size than the
clones used in Good Karma, producing richer colors, dark red currant flavors and
- The grapes are all fermented separately by variety in small 1 ton bins. When
fermentation is done, the wine is removed from the grapes solids by press and
the separate wines are placed into new and once used Hungarian and American
oak barrels to age for 23 months. The wines are blended about 1 year into the
- In vintages when the blend has more Sangiovese, the wine is more like a red
Chianti wine (2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 are good examples). In vintages when
the blend is equal parts Sangiovese and Cabernet Sauvignon the wine is heavier
and more like a Super Tuscan (2007, 2010 and 2013) (Super Tuscan is the term
used to describe wines crafted in Tuscany outside of the allowed rules governing
the production of Chianti wines – they often include blending in non-
traditional/non-Italian grapes such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot).
- Great wine to drink with any Italian specialties.
- It should be served at room temperature of 65-70 degrees. It is about 12.5-13%
- The name is a nod to the Chianti Classico wine this blend takes its inspiration
Our chef and partner chefs are working on the perfect recipes to pair with this wine.